Glorious History of 100 years of SURAT ISLAM YATEEMKHANA SOCIETY
The Surat Islam Yatimkhana Society, a registered charitable Trust (Reg. No. F/158); was founded on 4th August, 1918 by the elite and visionary Muslims leaders like HH. The Nawab of Belha, HH. The Nawab of Sachin, Sheth Arif Ismail Bham of Rander, Seth Haji Ahmed Botawala of Rander, Seth Mehmood Ahmed Shaikh of Calcutta and Seth Dilaver Khan Rahim Khan of Calcutta, Namdar Begum Sahiba of Belha and many more. The aim of the society was to provide and fulfill the needs of Shelter and Education of orphan Muslim boys and girls and promote education among The Muslim Community including establishing school and colleges. The first President of the society was Nawab Meer Muzaffar Husain Khan Sahab and first Hon. Secretary was Nawab Meer Masud Alam Khan Sahab (Nawab of Belha).
In the year 1925, the government of Bombay Presidency gifted land for construction of Orphanage at F-Tika No.2, Survey No.2, Nanpura, Surat. The foundation stone of the first orphanage building was laid by The Honourable Governor of Bombay presidency, Sir Lesley Orem Wilson on 1st February 1926. Total construction cost was Rs.19,201/- The major donation of Rs.12,000/- was contributed by Seth Botawala family of Rander.